Prior to commencing legal practice, Dato’ A.J. Surin was a banker at an investment bank in Kuala Lumpur. He was subsequently admitted to the Malaysian Bar in 1996 and began practice focusing on corporate law, which included technology-related projects, privatization, corporate finance and intellectual property.
He subsequently became involved in advising on the development of information and communications technology (ICT) Governmental policy and provided legal services to the advisor of the Malaysian Government on technology, policies and strategies on the national development of ICT.
Dato’ A.J. then advised clients on legal and regulatory issues related to ICT, public-private partnerships, cybersecurity, law on digital signatures, domain name issues as well as computer and telecommunications contracts. Because of his work in these areas, he liaised regularly with the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC). In addition, Dato A.J. also advised various Governmental bodies on the research and drafting of Federal and subsidiary legislation.
Formerly General Counsel of a technology-based publicly listed company, a former member of the Bar Council’s intellectual property sub-committee and its cyberlaw sub-committee and holder of an MBA with a double major in International Business and Management Information Systems, Dato’ A.J. has considerable experience in fintech, blockchain, cyberlaw, cyberpolicy, cybersecurity matters & legal issues related to ICT and regularly conducts speaking engagements regarding these matters. He was also a regular contributor to the press for commentary on new legislation and legal issues related to technology.
Dato A.J. was also an advisor to The Global Cyberlaw Institute, a think-tank based in Malaysia, which assisted the Malaysian Government with its efforts to make Malaysia a global leader in intellectual property protection and cyberlaw. He has also authored a book on ICT laws entitled “Cyberlaw & Its Implications”.
He regularly advises corporate clients on complex technology & intellectual property transactions.
He understands C, Java, Python, HTML & SQL programming languages.
- LL.B. (Hons) - University of Wolverhampton
- MBA (Hons) (Management Information Systems & International Business)
- Malaysian Bar (1996)
- Bahasa Malaysia
- Advising companies involved in e-wallets & other e-payment systems.
- Advising a digital banking applicant regarding relevant law & regulations of Bank Negara Malaysia’s (Central Bank of Malaysia) digital banking licensing regime.
- Advising an industry association regarding non-fungible tokens (NFT) and intellectual property.
- Advising a robo-advisor in finance regarding setting up business in Malaysia.
- Advising clients regarding registration as a Recognised Market Operator (RMO) to establish & operate a Digital Asset Exchange (DAX) as well as regarding Initial Exchange Offerings (IEO).
- Strategizing, drafting & amending legal documentation for the International Multilateral Partnership Against Cyberthreats (IMPACT), under the aegis of the Prime Minister’s Office.
- Advising an applicant regarding the law & regulation on cryptocurrency exchanges.
- Strategizing, drafting & amending relevant legal documentation for Cybersecurity Malaysia.
- Advising on equity crowdfunding (ECF) and peer-to-peer (P2P) lending companies regarding the relevant law & regulations of the Securities Commission.
- Advising on the aircraft, helicopter & unmanned aerial system (UAS) original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) in supplying its products in Malaysia, including regulations & policies of the Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia (CAAM) and the Directorate General Technical Airworthiness (DGTA); Malaysia’s Industrial Collaboration Programme (ICP), Countertrade Programme & the Professional Training and Education for Growing Entrepreneurs Programme (Protégé).
- Advising on a corporation involved in maintenance, repair & overhaul (MRO) which was applying for the Part 145 Approved Maintenance Organization certification under the Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia (CAAM).
- Strategizing, drafting, negotiating & amending legal & regulatory documentation for TM of Malaysia’s Webe (previously known as Packet One Networks) Wimax licence as well as the implementation of its network infrastructure in Malaysia.
- Strategizing, drafting, negotiating & amending legal documentation related to the implementation of TM of Malaysia’s 4G network infrastructure.
- Advising Percetakan Nasional Malaysia Bhd regarding its subsidiary, Lawnet, which provides online legal databases to its customers.
- Advising on an oil & gas multinational corporation regarding its comprehensive, intellectual property management system.
- Advising on a technology corporation regarding the registration & management of its patents globally.