Key Practice Areas:
Sim Yi’s practise areas include corporate real estate, civil aviation and corporate banking.
Sim Yi is actively involved in the acquisition and disposal of various types of real property, leases and tenancies, joint venture arrangement involving real property, property development and sale and purchase of shares in real property companies where she advises listed companies, developers, real estate investment trusts and foreign investors.
In respect of her civil aviation experience, she advises foreign financial institutions and owners/lessors of aircraft in aircraft financing and leasing transactions, including transactions which are structured through Labuan entities. She deals with the Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia and the Labuan Financial Services Authority for regulatory matters in connection with the civil aviation work undertaken by her.
Sim Yi also advises local financial institutions for corporate banking matters and often acts as Malaysian counsel for foreign financial institutions.
- LL.B. (Hons) – Northumbria University, United Kingdom
- Certificate in Legal Practice
- Malaysian Bar (2013)
- Bahasa Malaysia
- Advising on various real estate investment trusts and listed companies in their acquisition of properties (including shopping malls and officer towers) and conducted legal due diligence exercises in connection therewith and where applicable, assisting them in the corporate exercise for shareholders’ or unitholders’ approval.
- Advising the first education and unlisted Islamic real estate investment trust in Malaysia in its maiden acquisition and leaseback of 2 schools in the Klang Valley to the value of approximately RM305 million.
- Advising foreign investors in their acquisition of a five-star landmark hotel in the golden triangle of Kuala Lumpur for a consideration exceeding RM700 million and assisted with the transfer of all hotel land, property, assets, employees and businesses.
- Advising a Malaysian public listed company on a joint venture arrangement for a mixed development comprising of residential, commercial, retail units and a theatre on about 100 acres of land in Melaka, Malaysia with gross development value of about RM6 billion.
- Advising a leading developer in Malaysia in connection with its development and sale of high-end corporate office suites and luxury residence suites in the golden triangle of Kuala Lumpur.
- Advising a renowned foreign property development / investment company on the disposal of its interests in an office block in KL Sentral via a corporate exercise involving the restructuring of the Malaysian investment holding company.
- Advising various aircraft owners and lessors on the sale and leaseback of aircraft and helicopters to be operated in Malaysia.
- Advising foreign international counsels with the Malaysian security given in connection with the financing of Malaysian registered aircraft.