Key Practice Areas:
Adrian advises on landmark projects and iconic developments, project financing (including Export Credit Agency (ECA) financing), mergers and acquisitions, energy, infrastructure and utilities, technology and telecommunications, corporate and commercial matters and private equity.
He has broad experience and depth in many sectors, having advised on and led many headlining transactions and industry firsts. His experience spans many industries including energy and utility work, infrastructure, oil & gas, petro-chemicals, telecommunications, rail, aviation, media, theme parks, satellite, financial services, insurance, bank capital, capital markets (including Rule 144A / Regulation S offerings), derivatives and structured products, catalytic developments, logistics, healthcare, education, technology, mining, and Fast-Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) work, and has often led on complex cross border transactions involving multiple jurisdictions. He is recommended as a leading lawyer in a number of legal publications.
- LL.B. (Hons) – University of Leicester, 1995 under scholarship as a recipient of the British High Commissioner’s Chevening Awards and a recipient of Harvey Ingram Awards for top marks in Company Law and European Union Law
- Barrister-at-law of Gray’s Inn, 1996
- Bar of England and Wales (1996)
- Malaysian Bar (1997)
- Bahasa Malaysia
- Highly Regarded Leading Lawyer in 2020, IFLR 1000
- Distinguished Practitioner in Corporate and M&A 2020, Asialaw
- Ranked in Projects, Infrastructure & Energy, Chambers and Partners
- Recognised by Asia Business Law Journal as one of Malaysia’s Top 100 Lawyers 2020
Energy, Infrastructure & Construction
- Advising on the USD2.13 billion acquisition of oil and gas assets in Malaysia, Malaysia’s largest ever upstream transaction and the largest upstream transaction in South East Asia in the past 5 years.
- Advising on the development of a 100MW large scale solar photovoltaic plants under the third Large Scale Solar tender exercise successfully awarded by the Energy Commission.
- Advising on the acquisition of equity interests in three Feed-in Approval Holders which own and operate four solar projects in Selangor, Malaysia at KLIA and its vicinity.
- Advising the project developer on the establishment and development of LEGOLAND Malaysia, Malaysia’s first themed attraction of international acclaim.
- Advising on a large cross border rail project between Malaysia and a neighbouring country.
- Advising the project developer on the establishment of Marlborough College Malaysia.
- Advising on various power projects with independent power producers.
- Advising on the MYR4.2 billion divestment of a 2420MW power station, the pioneering coal plant and largest multi fuel integrated generating facility to a special purpose vehicle.
Corporate & Commercial
- Advising QL and Maxincome Resources Sdn Bhd (the master franchisee) in the franchise arrangement with Japan’s FamilyMart Co., Ltd to bring the world’s second largest convenience-store chain into Malaysia.
- Advising on a joint venture to develop iconic developments in Singapore and Malaysia with a gross development value of USD10 billion, which won SE Asia M&A Deal of the Year awarded by an international publication.
- Advising on the sale of a significant stake in a master developer with a total acreage of more than 2,000 acres to an international conglomerate and related shareholding arrangement.
- Advising on the strategic business alliance between two large telecommunications companies, recognised as the Best M&A deal in Malaysia by a financial publication.
Telecommunications, Multimedia & Technology
- Advising a leading telecommunications network provider on the joint development and sharing of fibre infrastructure between the top three mobile cellular network providers in Malaysia.
- Advising on the spectrum allocation, spectrum assignment and apparatus assignment regime in Malaysia, including allocation and transfer of spectrum bands.
- Advising on various corporate-commercial arrangements, the provision of advisory services on the various aspects of the communications network system and the procurement and maintenance of network infrastructure including contractual framework in respect of 2G, 3G, 4G (LTE) and preliminary discussions of 5G procurement with equipment and network vendors (including engagements with Chinese counterparties such as Huawei and ZTE) and in the of the key area of vendor financing and other financing arrangements.
- Advising on the project finance of a petrochemicals storage facility, awarded Petchem Deal of the Year and Asia Pacific Downstream Oil & Gas Award by an international publication.
- Advising on the syndicated financing undertaken by one of the largest polyolefins producers in South East Asia, awarded Best Project Finance Deal by an international publication.