Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
With our corporate practice’s collective experience in a vast array of complex and high-profile transactions, we offer a comprehensive range of services including domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisition involving private and public corporation, share and business acquisition or disposal, trade-sale deals, private equity investments and exits as well as acquisition involving special purpose acquisition companies (SPAC). We work closely with our clients to provide practical advice on transaction structuring, as well as on the relevant regulatory control or foreign investment regime in Malaysia and negotiate the transaction documents in a manner tailored to suit the needs of our clients.
We provide a wide range of services to international and domestic clients including public and private companies, private equity firms, government linked companies and multinational companies on mergers and acquisitions matters as well as disposal of companies and businesses in various industries including financial institutions and stockbrokers, telecommunication, oil & gas, energy, healthcare, education, technology, retail chains and manufacturing.
Our Deal Experience:
We have acted or advised the following significant deals in recent years:
- advised Axiata Group Berhad on the Malaysian aspect of the proposed merger of the telco operations of Celcom Axiata Berhad and Digi.com Berhad
- advised Axiata Group Berhad on the Malaysian aspect of the proposed acquisition by Axiata Investments (Indonesia) Sdn Bhd (“AII”) and PT XL Axiata TBK of approximately 66.03% equity interest in PT Link Net TBK (“Link Net”) for a total cash consideration of 8.7 trillion Indonesian Rupiah followed by a proposed mandatory tender offer by AII to acquire all the remaining shares in Link Net.
- advised TESCO PLC’s disposal of its businesses in Thailand and Malaysia to the CP group
- advised on the acquisition by Affin Holdings Berhad of 100% interest in Hwang-DBS Investment Bank Berhad and HDM Futures Sdn Bhd, 70% interest in Hwang Investment Management Berhad and 49% interest in Asian Islamic Investment Management Sdn Bhd from Hwang-DBS (Malaysia) Berhad.
- advised Alliance Bank Malaysia Berhad on the proposed disposal of the stockbroking business of Alliance Investment Bank Berhad (“AIBB”) to Phillip Futures Sdn Bhd and the proposed disposal of the capital markets business of AIBB to Alliance Islamic Bank Berhad
- acted as the Malaysian counsel to AIGF Advisors Pte Ltd in the disposal of its stake in Jaya Grocer
- advised Capital A Berhad in its acquisition of the remaining 20.00% equity interest in Biglife Sdn Bhd from AIMIA Holdings UK II Limited for a purchase consideration of RM103,037,500 satisfied via the issuance of new ordinary shares of Capital A Berhad
- advised on the RM210 million acquisition of the TRIplc Group by Puncak Niaga Holdings Berhad from Pimpinan Ehsan Berhad.
- acted as the Malaysian counsel to Apricus Global Pte. Ltd as offeror in the voluntary conditional general offer to acquire all the issued and paid-up ordinary shares in the capital of Boardroom Limited
- acted as the Malaysian counsel to Bridgetown 2 Holdings Limited (“Bridgetown 2”), a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC) formed by Pacific Century Group and Thiel Capital LLC in its proposed business combination with Southeast Asia’s online realty company PropertyGuru Pte. Ltd.
- acted for PETRONAS in its first venture capital investment and other venture capital investments in various start-ups
- acted for PETRONAS in relation to the sale of its 50% stake in PRPC Refinery and Cracker Sdn Bhd for USD7 billion and its 50% stake in PRPC Polymers Sdn Bhd for USD900 million to Aramco Oversea Holdings Coöperatief U.A., a wholly owned subsidiary of Saudi Arabian Oil Company
- acted for Paramount Corporation Berhad in the proposed investment in the holding company of a peer-to-peer financing platform operator
- acted for Paramount Corporation Berhad in its cross-border investment in the property development sector in Thailand
- acted for Paramount Corporation Berhad in relation to its disposal of controlling interests in its pre-tertiary education business for RM569.2 million
- acted for CapitaLand Limited as its Malaysian counsel in CapitaLand’s acquisition of the Ascendas-Singbridge group of companies from Ascendas-Singbridge Pte. Ltd. where the deal was valued at S$11 billion