Key Practice Areas:
Jia Chiam’s areas of practice primarily covers banking and finance as well as corporate commercial matters and merger and acquisition transactions.
Her experience includes advising local and foreign lenders and borrowers on various financing transactions such as project finance, shipping finance, acquisition finance, property finance and Islamic finance. Apart from her banking and financing portfolio, she also regularly advises on the merger and acquisition and joint venture transactions across different industries such as oil & gas, manufacturing and geotextiles.
In addition to these, she also regularly advises on regulatory requirements in Malaysia ranging across different industries such as manufacturing sectors including chemicals, life sciences and medical technology, machinery and metal and services sectors including healthcare services, business services and oil and gas for both local and international clients.
- LL.B. (Hons) – University of Cardiff, 2010
- Malaysian Bar (2012)
- Bahasa Malaysia
- Advising Kerian Solar Sdn Bhd, a joint venture company formed by a French energy giant ENGIE Energie Services S.A. and Malaysian company TTL Energy Sdn Bhd in relation to project financing of up to RM342 million to finance the development, construction and operation of 100MWac of a Large-Scale Solar Photovoltaic Plant in Perak under the Third Large Scale Solar Photovoltaic plants scheme by Energy Commission of Malaysia.
- Advising Groupe Solmax Inc, the world’s leading geosynthetics manufacturer in the acquisition of TenCate Geosynthetics, a global provider of geosynthetics and industrial fabrics and its subsidiaries located worldwide, from its parent, Koninklijke Ten Cate, from a Malaysian law perspective.
- Advising Furukawa Electric Co., Ltd., a Japanese electric and electronics equipment company, from a Malaysian law perspective on the joint venture exercise (in relation to the combination of assets and operations) with Superior Essex Inc., a US company, who is the largest global manufacturer of magnet wire with manufacturing and distribution facilities worldwide.
- Advising on the cooperation between the local company, Ocean Gold Property Development Sdn Bhd and China developer, China Vanke Co Ltd, one of the largest and leading real estate companies and property developers in China and is also listed as one of the Fortune Global 500 companies, on a sale and purchase transaction of 16 pieces plots of prime land, strategically located within the ‘Golden Triangle’, Kuala Lumpur city’s premier commercial district for an approximately RM500 million purchase consideration.
- Advising Pertama Ferroalloys Sdn. Bhd. (SPV sponsored by Asia Minerals Limited, Nippon Denko Company Limited, Carbon Capital Corporation Sdn Bhd, Shinsho Corporation and Chuo Denki Kogyo Co., Ltd) in relation to the cross-border project financing provided by a consortium of lenders for the Samalaju Manganese Smelter Project located in Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Advising on the proposed business integration of oil & gas business between TonenGeneral group and JX Nippon group involving joint venture agreement with Malaysia LNG Tiga Sdn Bhd pertaining oil blocks in Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Advising a bidder in the proposed acquisition from Talisman Energy Inc’s of a substantial stake in its upstream oil and gas assets located in Malaysia and conducted detailed legal due diligence and risk matrix in relation to the proposed acquisition.