Key Practice Areas:
Yoke Mui has extensive experience in real estate transactions, civil aviation matters, corporate banking and corporate matters for the last 40 years.
In relation to real estate, she advised licensed developers, property management companies, plantation estate owners and property investment companies as to their property development, sales, purchases and management issues. She assisted developers with their applications for regulatory licences and assisted clients with their investigations with regulators as to their treatment and construction of regulatory requirements.
Yoke Mui advised foreign aircraft owners and lessors as to Malaysian civil aviation law and regulatory issues and facilitated with the registration and deregistration of aircraft and any attendant mortgages. She advised on the setting up of special purpose vehicle in Labuan to carry on aircraft leasing business with the approval of regulators. She assisted offshore financiers and their international counsel with their funding and securitization of Malaysian assets leased by Malaysian air operators for their fleet. She has advised and assisted renown international law firms on Malaysian aircraft transactions since late 1980s.
She also acted for various local banks on sizable corporate loans to local corporations and advised on all relevant and pertinent security issues. She advised foreign corporations on their foreign direct investments in Malaysia, their licensing and operational requirements in Malaysia and acted for them in their acquisition of business assets in Malaysia.
- Barrister-at-Law, Middle Temple.
- Bar of England and Wales (1978)
- Malaysian Bar (1979)
- Malaysia’s Top 100 Lawyers in 2021 in Asia Business Law Journal
- Participated in the establishment of the first stapled securities in Malaysia involving the sale and leaseback of an iconic landmark building in Kuala Lumpur.
- Advising on settlement land issues in connection with over 350,000 hectares of land on the initial public offering of a company with leased rights over such lands.
- Advising on various real estate investment trusts in their acquisition of properties (including a hypermarket, a newly built shopping mall and an office block constituting part of a mixed development) and, to the extent necessary, assisting them with their applications for regulatory approvals and where applicable, unitholders’ approval.
- Advising foreign investors in their acquisition of a well renown hotel in the golden triangle of Kuala Lumpur for a consideration exceeding RM700 million and assisted with the transfer of all hotel land, property, assets, employees and businesses. A unique feature of the purchase was to structure the purchase subject to the continued redevelopment and renovation of certain parts of the hotel post completion.
- Advising a renown foreign property development/investment company on the disposal of its interests in an office block in Sentral via a corporate exercise involving the restructuring of the Malaysian investment holding company.
- Advising on the acquisition and development of over 200 acres of industrial land in Selangor to the value of approximately RM325 million and the sub-sale of part of the industrial land involving the subdivision of land.
- Advising a Malaysian public listed company on a joint venture arrangement for the development of residential, commercial, retail units and a theatre on about 100 acres of land in Melaka, Malaysia with gross development value of about RM6 billion.
- Advising Export-Import Bank of the United States of America in relation to the issue of USD620,000.00 LEGENS Notes by the Government of Malaysia and subsequently the novation of the Notes.
- Advising and assisting international lawyers on Malaysian aspects of the sale, purchase, lease, sub-lease, mortgage and registration of foreign owned aircraft in Malaysia.
- Advising and assisting foreign international counsels with the Malaysian security given in connection with the financing of Malaysian registered aircraft.
- Advising a firm of renown aviation service provider in the structuring of the availability of aircraft rotable parts in 3 countries in South East Asia.